We are thrilled to announce that The Matchmaker UK has successfully obtained the Cyber Essentials Certification.
What does this mean for you?
By obtaining Cyber Essentials certification, we’re demonstrating The Matchmaker UK’s commitment to security and protecting your data. As of this writing, The Matchmaker UK is the only Matchmaker agency in the UK that carries the Cyber Essentials certification.
What is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a UK Government-backed information assurance scheme operated by the National Cyber Security Centre that encourages businesses to adopt good practices in cyber security.
The scheme identifies the security controls that we must have in place within our IT systems in order to address cyber security effectively and mitigate the risk from Internet-based threats. Evidence shows that businesses that achieve Cyber Essentials can protect against the majority of cyber attacks.
The Importance of Data Protection in the Dating Industry
Data protection is particularly important in the dating industry especially given that online romance and dating scams are on the rise. Between November 2020 and October 2021, 8,863 cases of romance fraud were reported to National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre, up from 6,968 reports in 2020. However, this is not likely to be an accurate estimate, as romance fraud is an underreported crime. Financial losses to online dating scams in the UK were £92 million in 2022.
At The Matchmaker UK, clients are delighted with our commitment to high level of confidentiality and adherence to strict data control protocols in all communications.
Additionally, our profiles are digitally created courtesy of the Smart Match App, the leading matchmaker digital profiling technology, that utilises end-to-end 256-bit encryption for maximum security across all data.
Our award-winning, forward-thinking matchmaking service doesn’t stop there. We also rely on our in-house DPO, who regularly audits our matchmaking service, ensuring that our team carefully handles sensitive data at every point of contact.
Here’s how you can protect yourself while dating online:
- Don’t give out your personal information: This includes any personal information regarding your financial details, credit history, or other sensitive data.
- Remember, a serious match will not ask you for financial support: No matter how compelling the situation, do not send or receive any money for any reason.
- Ask to meet in person as soon as possible: As matchmakers, we encourage our matches to meet in person right away without delay. There’s nothing that should hold you back from meeting the person you’re waiting to meet.
- Use trusted sources to meet matches: Most reputable dating platforms will monitor and track communications on their platforms. If your match is in a hurry to take communications off-platform, be weary. Here at The Matchmaker UK, clients are vetted via a thorough background check and identity verification process, giving our matches peace of mind.
- Trust your gut: Ultimately, if you feel something is too good to be true, it probably is. Romance scammers are not only masters of manipulation, but they’re relentless when it comes to wreaking havoc on your emotions, finances and trust. Whatever you do, trust your gut. If something doesn’t feel right, speak up or walk away.
The Matchmaker UK takes your privacy, data and personal information seriously. If you’re ready to find your match, get in touch with our award-winning team today.